A foot soak also known as a foot bath is a wonderful way to repay our feet.
Taking care of our feet is not only applying nail-polish, performing a foot scrub, or cutting our toenails. They work hard for us, and although they are a strong and complex anatomical structure, they need that extra step in foot care to make they even more resilient.
These recipes have different effects. A salt foot bath relaxes the feet and takes away the swelling. Essential oils are versatile: lavender essential oil foot bath has a very relaxing effect unlike the peppermint recipe that rejuvenates the feet.
Lets look at these different recipes:
Baking soda homemade cleanse
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- Cook rice in enough water so you have rice water left, around 2-3 cups
- Add baking soda into it, let it cool down a bit and dip your feet for as long as the water it warm
- Dry them well
This simple recipe is very effective for smelly feet as baking soda acts as an antibacterial agent preventing excessive perspiration. It kills the existing bacteria and prevents any possible infections. The rice water is good for improving micro-circulation.
To make it into a tea tree oil foot soak, try adding a couple of drops of tea tree essential oil into it. Tea tree oil is one of the best ingredients to use in order to fight fungal infections such as athlete’s foot home remedy.
Chopping some parsley into it also has an antibacterial effect and helps improve the circulation.
Salt foot bath
- 1/2 cup of sea salt or Epsom salt
- Prepare a large pan of water. Boil it and let it cool down to a temperature you feel comfortable with
- Add salt into it, let it dissolve and soak your feet
Salt helps tired, swollen, and achy feet. A solution containing salt and water is hypertonic compared to your skin and skin cells. This means that it drains excess water out of your feet and soaks it up.
Lavender Herbal foot bath
- 5 litres of water
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1/4 cup of sea salt or Epsom salt
- Boil water and cool down a bit
- Add lavender oil and salt
- Immerese your feet
Lavender is not only used in relaxing bubble baths and foot massage, it is a wonderful ingredients for your feet. It smells good and provides relaxation your feet need.
You could also try sandlewood or Ylang Ylang oils, they also have a soothing effect.
Peppermint foot soak recipe
- Water enough to cover your feet and reach your ankles
- 3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop of eucalyptus essential oil and 1 drop of lemon essential oil (these two are optional but aid the invigorating sensation of this recipe
- Boil water and let it cool down a bit.
- Add the oils and keep the feet in as long as you like
After trying out any of these great recipes, it is time for some real pampering.
- 1/4 fresh lemon juice
- a bit of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 water
- Mix all the ingredients and submerge your feet as long as you like
- For best results, use it 2 times a week
After you are done, your skin will feel smooth and pedicure will be a breeze. Cuticle care is performed after this, as they are softened and can be pushed back painlessly.
Check out toenail care for more advice, tips and remedies.
Related recipes and pages
Energizing and relaxing foot soak recipes
Looking for a specific recipe, home remedy or ingredient? Type the word and browse through the results.